auspicious - adj.
1. attended by favorable circumstances; propitious; lucky
2. marked by success; prosperous
notarize - verb
1. to certify or attest to (the validity of a signature on a document, for example) as a notary public
chicanery - noun
deception by trickery
obsequious - adjective
full of or exhibiting servile compliance; fawning; brown noser
(ob: toward sequi: follow)
pecuniary - adjective
1. of or relating to money
2. requiring payment of money
(pecunia: money ar: relating to)
reciprocal - adjective
1. existing, done, or experienced on both sides
2. done, given, felt, or owed in return
3. interchangeable; complementary
4. (grammar) expressing mutual action or relationship. Used of some verbs and compound pronouns.
5. (math) Of or relating to the reciprocal of a quantity
6. (physiology) of or relating to a neuromuscular phenomenon in which the inhibition of one group of muscles accompanies the excitation of another
7. (genetics) Of or being a pair of crosses in which the male or female parent in one cross is of the same genotype or phenotype as the complementary female or male parent in the other cross
1. something that is reciprocal to something
2. (math) a number related to another in such a way that when multiplied together their product is 1.
reparation - noun
1. the act or process of making amends for a wrong; righting a wrong
2. something done or money paid to compensate or make amends for a wrong
3. reparations - Compensation or remuneration required from a defeated nation as indemnity for damage or injury during a war
4. the act or process of repairing or the condition of being repaired
(re: again parare: to prepare)
orthography - noun
1. the art or study of correct spelling according to established usage
2. The aspect of language study concerned with letters and their sequences in words
3. a method of representing a language or the sounds of language by written symbols; spelling
(ortho: straight, correct graphy: writing)
precipitous - adjective
1. resembling a precipice; extremely steep
2. extremely rapid or abrupt
(pre: before capit: head)
churlish - adjective
4.difficult to work or deal with
ziggurat - noun
a temple tower of the ancient Assyrians and Babylonians, having the form of a terraced pyramid with successively receding stories
yeoman - noun
1a. an attendant, servant, or lesser official in a royal or noble household
b. a yeoman of the guard
2. a petty officer performing chiefly clerical duties in the US Navy
3. an assistant or other subordinate, as of a sheriff
4. a diligent, dependable worker
5. a farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of small freeholders in England
past tense and a past participle of work.
1. Put together; created: a carefully wrought plan.
2. Shaped by hammering with tools. Used chiefly of metals or metalwork.
winnow - verb
1. To separate the chaff from (grain) by means of a current of air.
2. To blow (chaff) off or away.
3. To examine closely in order to separate the good from the bad; sift:
4.a. To separate or get rid of (an undesirable part); eliminate: winnowing out the errors in logic.
b. To sort or select (a desirable part); extract: The investigators winnowed the facts from the testimony.
5. To blow on; fan: a breeze winnowing the tall grass.
[from Old English windwian, from wind, wind]
usurp - verb
1. To seize and hold (the power or rights of another, for example) by force or without legal authority.
2. To take over or occupy without right
3. To take the place of (another) without legal authority; supplant.
unctuous - adj
1. Excessively ingratiating or insincerely earnest: was annoyed by the unctuous waiter.
2.a. Containing or composed of oil or fat.
b. Having the quality or characteristics of oil or ointment; slippery.
3. Abundant in organic materials; soft and rich
(ous: full of)
totalitarian - adj.
Of, relating to, being, or imposing a form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and centralized control over all aspects of life, the individual is subordinated to the state, and opposing political and cultural expression is suppressed
(total - complete)
tectonic - adj.
a. Relating to or resulting from the forces that create the structural and deformational features of the earth's lithosphere, especially its continents, oceans, and
b. Of or relating to a tectonic plate or plates.
2.a. Relating to construction or building.
3. Of great, often disruptive consequence or significance: tectonic shifts in the industry.
CREATE A FREE SITE WITH WEEBLY